.. .. .. ..
..

Historical notes on the parish church

The ancient church of Sant'Andrea, built as an independent parish as early as the second half of the fifteenth century, was partially demolished in 1845 to widen the cantonal road that then passed inside the town and make way for a neoclassical building in a more rear facing position. Part of the old ecclesiastical building was kept for residential use and incorporated into a building, remodelled and enlarged in our day, which still retains some traces of vaults and stucco decorations.

 

The baroque bell tower has survived from the previous church, as the one designed for the new building was never built. Launched in 1846 from a design by Luigi Fontana of Muggio (1812-1877) - the most prominent and sought-after architect of the Mendrisio zone, to whom the Fogliardi spinning mill at the northern end of the town was commissioned in 1842 - the monument was consecrated in 1850 and was affected by some re-thinking and downsizing dictated by the scarce financial resources as a result of the difficult economic times.

 

The church remained an open building site for a long time, so much so that the tetrastyle pronao or prodromo that characterises the monument was only realized in 1916 by architect Florindo Bernasconi of Riva San Vitale, who four years later also completed the staircase, scrupulously folowing the nineteenth-century plans.

..
 

© Comune di Melano     |     credits     |     Ultimo aggiornamento della pagina: 09.10.2018     |     Visualizzazione: RegolareStampa